Gas Test Atmospheres
This unit of competency covers the skills and knowledge required to test potential hazardous atmospheres, using electronic test apparatus, to find out if it is safe for the proposed work tasks.
The unit applies to situations and scenarios where an individual may be required to carry out gas testing of an atmosphere prior to entering a specific area or workspace and to monitor that atmosphere during the task. The competency requires the person to understand and interpret readings and take necessary risk control actions based on the interpretation.
Working environments may be hazardous, unpredictable, subject to unexpected change, chaotic and expose workers and responders to risk.
This unit is suitable for use in the following situations:
- Confined spaces
- Restricted spaces that do not meet Confined Space criteria
- Hot works
- Storage or underground tanks, silos, pits, pipes, shafts, ducts, culverts, drains, transport vehicles and ships
- Testing as part of working under or in accordance with a permit to work.
- Holding the given gas testing equipment by hand and understanding its functions
- Lowering the given tester into a space, e.g. on a line or using pumps and detector tubes.
No licensing, legislative or certification requirements apply to this unit at the time of publication.
Contact us for more information on this and any of our other Health and Safety training.
Course Name: Gas Test Atmospheres
Unit Code: MSMWHS217
Duration: 8 hrs Face to Face